To become a
certified GLA:D™ Canada instructor, you must have eligible staff complete a 1.5
day training course. The GLA:D™ Canada program is a high quality education and
tailored exercise program. Individuals must be licensed by a regulatory body,
have the knowledge, skills, ability and scope of practice to independently
assess patients, prescribe exercises, progress exercises (including home based
recommendations), modify exercises as appropriate for participants (to fit
their individual ability and contraindications as appropriate) and transition functional
exercises to physical activity and activities of daily living. Examples of
health care professionals that fit these criteria are physiotherapists and
chiropractors. Each individual should have a minimum of 2 years of clinical
experience including working with this patient population.
We recognize that
other professionals may be eligible to provide the program. We ask that these
individuals fit the following criteria:
- Have at least 2 years of clinical experience working with patients with chronic disease, including working with patients with hip and/or knee osteoarthritis.
- Have experience leading group education sessions.
The GLA:D™ Canada
course is available for professional who will be working in Canada only.
Athletic Therapy training is not sufficient to take the GLA:D™ course.
Additional training and/or experience with an OA population, including patients
with comorbidities, is required.
If you are a
registered kinesiologist (within the province of Ontario), a non-registered
kinesiologist or a certified exercise physiologists (CSEP-CEP), you will be
considered for the course based on an application. Please send your full CV,
current job description and a letter from your manager demonstrating your
skills and experiences as explained above to firstname.lastname@example.org
to be considered for the course. Your application will be reviewed by
the GLA:D™ Canada national team and you will be notified of your
acceptance or decline to take the training course. Please allow at least 2
weeks for our national team to review your application.
Internationally trained physiotherapists who are looking to take our GLA:D™ Canada
course are welcome to take our course after they have successfully passed their
Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) and have received their license to practice
in Canada. They must have a minimum of 2 years of clinical experience including
working with this patient population.
GLA:D™ Canada training sessions are 1.5 day training courses that will prepare
you to provide the program to your clients. Training consists of:
- Theoretical component detailing the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis and up to date research on treatment.
- Information on how to implement the program within your clinical setting, adhering to the GLA:D™ Canada program standards and data collection.
- Practical instruction on how to deliver the neuromuscular exercise program and functional test.
- Meals and refreshments during the 1.5 day course
- A Training Manual
- A user profile on the GLA:D™ Canada website, once you have implemented the program, which will grant you access to up-to-date programming materials and access to a community of all trained GLA:D™ Canada therapists
- Materials to promote your program
- Follow-up implementation support to launch the program at your location
Prior to signing up for a course, please review our website for information
about the GLA:D™ Canada program and read the following document: Getting Started with GLA:D. Data collection is an integral
component of GLA:D. Please note that implementing the program will require a
$230 administration fee to support us in assisting you with the process.
** Please note that a $25 non-refundable administration fee is included for
each registration purchased.